Monday, June 23, 2008

Yet another migraine blog

The other day, after leaving the nth phone message with my neurologist's secretary, I thought, "maybe it would be therapeutic to start a migraine blog!" Well, many migraineurs have come to the same realization, as I found by Googling "migraine blog."

It was amazing ... a network of fellow migraine sufferers comparing notes from day to day: ginger ale or sparkling water? Flashing lights or tingling limbs? Ice pack or sleep mask? I couldn't stop reading. Even with a pounding head and queasy stomach, the more I read, the more sane I felt. I wasn't crazy. These happen to other people. They deal. We deal. I can deal.

Really the only reason that I feel that I can contribute to the migraine blogosphere is that I have a unique perspective on our disease. It is often a double-edged sword. For better or for worse, I am training to become a doctor, with an MD looming after my last name.

So I study neurology, praying that my Relpax kicks in as I am literally dissecting a brain. I read everything I can about headaches -- neurology textbooks, research, clinical trials. I desperately search for a cure, somewhere, hidden in the literature. Sometimes the knowledge helps. But more often it reminds me how little we know about that mysterious organ in the skull, and how many times medicine has failed us.

I must go toy with some widgets to make this blog more fun to play with. I am also trying to design a blog that would be the easiest for a migrainous reader to use. Please let me know if my blog is too sunny, too noisy, or smells weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the clean, cool, quiet look of your blog.

themigrainegirl said...

It's been only a few weeks and I already love your blog! So nice to read the words of an introspective, talented writer.

More, more, more!

-Janet G.